five friends dedicating 100 days to getting into the best shape of their lives.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 21: It's working.



By far the toughest part of any workout is sticking with it long enough to see results that you deem satisfactory. But those results come in small bits. Despite those unsafe-but-incredibly-tempting commercials or pop-up ads, losing 15 pounds in a week is very unhealthy for your body, even though it perhaps provides temporary satisfaction.

The real workout, though, spoon feeds you rewards at indeterminate intervals. My first real one came today. I'm not yet seeing the 6-pack, or the well-define arms and chest. My body shape really isn't much different from what it was 3 weeks ago. But I can feel a physical transformation occurring, even if I can't yet see it.

And today was the proof that I'm becoming more physically fit than I was just 21 days ago. Today I ran 8 miles--8 miles!--which is the longest distance I've ever run at once (with a short break to walk for about 5 minutes at the halfway mark). I did it in 78 minutes, keeping my per-mile pace under 10 minutes, which is sort of a goal of mine if I can keep it up.

It's an incredible feeling to know that the work I'm putting in, the early mornings, the hour-and-a-half workouts, the eating plan, are all paying off. I'm barely 1/5 my way through this program and I feel really good about it.

This is an incredible motivator. Now I have comparatively easy runs--4 miles, 5, miles, 6 miles--for the next two weeks until my monster 9 mile test around day 35 or so.

Keep it here to see if I actually make it all the way to marathon shape. I don't know that I will, but given the progress and the payoff, I'm starting to think it might be possible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment